I AM is keen to get feedback from all our members. We have set up regular meetings that are open for all adult members to hear your views on what we do – and to get your ideas about things we could be doing differently or better. We’re keen to get input from all members of our community including –
- Those who attend our groups or one to one support
- Parents and carers
To make sure that the voice of members of our community gets heard and taken to the board one of our trustees Debra Bradley leads the meetings. Her role is to listen to the discussion and make sure that views and ideas are passed on to the board. She will then report back to the group at the next meeting and feedback on the board’s response to ideas.
The first meeting was held on 14th October 2020 and we agreed to meet every 2 months. Meetings are held on the second Wednesday of alternate months. Dates of meetings for the rest of 2021 are –
Wednesday 9th June at 6.00 pm – Summary
Wednesday 11th August at 6.00 pm – Summary
Wednesday 13th October at 6.00 pm
Wednesday 8th December at 6.00 pm
From October 2020 to April 2021 meetings were held via zoom but from June 2021 we plan to have face to face meetings. This will be kept under regular review and if the situation with COVID changes we may need to return to Zoom meetings. Please check the website before meetings for up to date information.
If you want to know more about Community Voice and the meetings please email Debra at Debra.Bradley@i-am-autism.org.uk
Ps – Although these meetings are for adult members of our community we are also going to be talking to our youth groups to make sure that the views of children and young people who are part of our community are also heard.
Purpose of the group
The purpose of the I AM Community Voice group is to provide a way for all adult members of I AM to be able to communicate with the board. This provides a way for members to
- Make suggestions to the board
- Ask the board questions
Debra Bradley (who is a member of the board) will lead the meetings. Debra will ensure that the voice of members is passed on to and heard by the board. Debra will then feedback from the board to the I AM Community Voice group at the next meeting.
Members are aware that although suggestions are taken to the board and discussed with them that there can not be a guarantee that they will be acted on. The board may not be able to take up ideas and suggestions for different reasons, including financial /cost implications or for legal or governance reasons. Members of the meeting accepted this.
Information about the I AM Community Voice group and how to join meetings will be posted on the website as well as dates of future meetings.
Although this meeting is for adults members I AM is speaking to children and young people who attend our youth groups to make sure the voice of our younger members is heard.
We agreed on the following for how the meetings would be run
- An agenda will be sent out to members a few days before each meeting
- Debra will email a draft agenda to members and ask if they have anything to add with a deadline for when things can be added
- It was agreed that the agenda for the next meeting should be on the website
- A final agenda will be sent out and posted on the website 2 days before the meeting
- Debra will produce minutes / a summary of the meeting within a week of the meeting
- Members of the group did not want meetings to be recorded
- The minutes of the meeting will be shared with all members who attended or sent their apologies
- The full minutes will be shared with the board but not with the wider staff group
- A brief summary of the meetings including the number of members who attended and topics discussed will be posted on the website and shared with relevant I AM staff.
Conduct of the meetings
- Only one person to speak at a time
- All members to listen to what others are saying
- All members to treat each other with respect
- Details of the discussion not to be discussed outside of the meeting
- Where there is a difference of opinion between members about a topic a vote could be taken
- All members will agree to respect the outcome of any vote – even if they voted differently
- Members will not communicate outside the meeting eg on social media about their lack of agreement with any discussion or vote